You may be wondering: What are some of the things people spend their solos doing? There is no correct way to spend your solo, it is your time. While some people spend their time being introspective, others spend the whole time sleeping. I never found myself bored.
The following are some of the things I did in my solitude.
- Building fairy houses
- Singing to myself
- Dancing in the rain
- Practicing mindfulness
- Drawing the mushrooms, lichens, and trees
- Collecting forest trinkets (leaves and rocks)
- Watching the sunset
- Sleeping in my hammock
- Eating: (nut-free) gorp, Wonki bars (Chewonki granola bars), and carrots from the farm
- Writing a letter to my future self
- Taking walks
- Listening to the sounds around me: the Double-crested Cormorants, the splashing of the water, and the rain on my tarp
- Taking photos of the view out onto the water
- Building forts
- Identifying species of plants and animals (Ascophyllum Nodosum, Red Oak, Red Maple, Sugar Maple, American Beech, etc) Emma McDonnell, The Field School, Washington, D.C.