“Chewonki inspires transformative growth, teaches appreciation and stewardship of the natural world, and challenges people to build thriving, sustainable communities throughout their lives.”
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Chewonki
To meet the promise of our mission, Chewonki strives to be a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. Our legacy of thoughtful self-reflection and purposeful change guides our efforts to create a place where all participants and staff can flourish. We are committed to:
- Promoting the principles of social and environmental justice1;
- Cultivating a leadership culture that fosters the best practices of this work;
- Building our financial strength to ensure the durability of this work;
- Attracting and enrolling students and campers who reflect our nation’s diversity;
- Attracting and retaining staff who reflect our nation’s diversity;
- Providing relevant, rigorous professional development;
- Designing a campus that is responsive to many needs;
- Evaluating our progress on an ongoing basis; and
- Collaborating whenever possible with peer institutions to share knowledge and resources.
For more information about our diversity, equity & inclusion statement, including a background and overview of how this statement was created, please read this supporting document.