Maine Youth Environmental Leaders Scholarship Overview:
The Maine Youth Environmental Leaders Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship awarded to year-round residents of Maine currently in 10th grade to attend Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki during the 11th grade.
This $15,000 scholarship covers approximately one-half of tuition and fees. Successful applicants will be in the top 20% of their class, have the support of a school or community leader, have demonstrated an appreciation for the natural world, and imagine a future creating positive change in their Maine community.
Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki offers students in their junior year of high school the opportunity to engage in a rigorous and relevant, immersive learning experience that results in a strengthened ownership over their education and the understanding that they can make a positive difference in their world. Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and has over 2,000 alumni from the past thirty years.
Although Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki attracts students from all over the United States, as a school deeply rooted in Maine, we are committed to our local communities and welcome the opportunity to make the Maine Coast Semester experience more accessible to Maine students.
In addition to following the regular application process for Maine Coast Semester, we request the following:
- A nomination submitted by a teacher, school administrator, or community leader and accompanied by a letter of recommendation
- A 500-word essay (Choose one of the following questions):
- In what ways have you contributed to improving the relationship between humans and our natural environment in your home community? (or given the chance, what would you do?)
- If you were to leave behind your own legacy for future generations, what would it be and why?
- In what ways does where you live influence how you live?
- An interview (Interviews are 30-40 minutes and are currently conducted via Zoom. Please contact email@example.com to schedule your interview.)
How to Apply
- Complete the standard application process.
- Scholarship application materials should be submitted directly by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
Decision Process: All award decisions will be based on the strength of each applicant’s recommendation letter, essay, interview, and overall application for admission. Applications are reviewed by an admissions committee. Applicants will be notified of our admissions decisions on March 15, 2021.
Can I still apply for need-based financial aid? Yes. As part of the application process, you can submit financial information via SSS. Please visit our Tuition & Financial Aid webpage for full instructions.
How many scholarships will be awarded? Up to two scholarships will be awarded for the 2021-2022 school year.
Can I submit other supporting documents? To provide an equitable review process for all applicants, please submit only the materials required.
Contact: Maranda Chung, Associate Director of Admissions
Phone: 207-882-7323 x140