About Dr. Susan Feibelman
Susan joined the Maine Coast Semester faculty in Semester 57 to teach U.S. History and has lead Maine Coast Semester since Semester 59.
Throughout her career, Susan has pursued professional growth and development, including 17 years of progressive leadership roles in the Dallas Public Schools, and 15 years as Upper School Head at Packer Collegiate Institute.
Susan also completed four years as Upper School Director at Greensboro Day School and has been part of a collaborative team based in North Carolina working to grow the number of women in leadership positions at independent schools.
- 2012-2016 – Upper School Director, Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, North Carolina
- 1996-2011 – Upper School Head, Packer Collegiate Institute, New York, New York
- 1979-1996 – Roles included; Director of Gifted Education; Principal & Instructional Specialist, Dallas Public School System, Dallas, Texas
- University of Pennsylvania, Doctor of Education degree in educational leadership and organization
- Stanford University, Master of Arts degree in social studies education
- Lewis and Clark College, Bachelor of Science degree in history
- 2003 – National Association of Independent Schools/E. E. Ford Fellowship for Aspiring School Heads
- 2001 – New York University, post-graduate coursework in International Trauma Studies
- 1989 – Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation and DeWitt Wallace/Reader’s Digest Institute in American History
- Feibelman, S., and Haakmat, M. (2012). Independent School Leadership: A gendered experience. The Inclusive School: A Selection of Writing on Diversity Issues in Independent Schools. Washington, D.C.: National Association of Independent Schools.
- Feibelman, S. (2010). Changing Curricula. Why Change? What Works? The NAIS Guide to Change Management. Washington, D.C.: National Association of Independent Schools.
- June 2012-2016, Women’s Leadership Conference, North Carolina Association of Independent Schools
- February 2015, “Rethinking the Balance of Power,” National Association of Independent Schools
- Avid knitter and yarn hoarder
- Proud collector of molded glass chickens